Convincing Win for Schools Cup Team

Special report by BGS pupil Philip Anderson
Bangor again travelled, and won, to play this rearranged fixture against a buoyant Wellington College.  Wellington had a great win over Lurgan College in the last round while Bangor had struggled to overcome Belfast HIgh School.

Wellington started well and won a penalty within the first five minutes which gave them the lead.  But Bangor, who were playing into a strong cross-wind, rallied and within five minutes had scored their first try.  It came after strong pressure on the Wellington line, with Bangor working a great backline move which saw Ben Coulter score between the post.  Stuart McCloskey then converted to take the score to 7-3.
As Bangor started to dominate the scrums, the Wellington pack struggled to keep their own ball.  Any possession coming wasa immediately under pressure as Bangor, in particular Gary Irvine, crushed the threats of Wellington No 8 Gonzales, who had dones so much damage in the previous round against Lurgan.
The second try for Bangor came after a speculative kick from Josh Togneri kicked through and raced on to touch down, Stuart mcCloskey converted from a difficult angle to make the score 14-3 to Bangor at half time.

The seasiders started the second half confidently and kept the pressure on Wellington who were now struggling with the power and pace of the visiting forwards.  The Bangor pack created a third try after some great work on the Wellington line.  Ball came back quickly for the backline to show their pace and fullback Togneri scored his secocnd try in the corner with Stuart McCloskey converting from the touchline for a Bangor lead of 21-3.
At this stage, Wellington looked down and out but rallied back to put Bangor under some pressure in their "22" for a ten-minute spell, winning a number of penalties but not taking advantage of them.  That said, Bangor's defence during this period as strong and the line wasn't threatened.
The fourth Bangor try came with about ten minutes to go and Wellington could certainly claim to be unlucky.  Bangor put up a great high ball which the fullback initially took well, but in the tackle the ball popped up for Togneri to pick up and run through for his third try bringing the final score to 26-3
BGS Team: W McCaughey; T Hagan; J Harrison; B Galvin; J Wright (capt); D Kelly; M Coey; G Irvine; S McCloskey; B Coulter; C Harper; M Aspley; J Henley; P Anderson; J Togneri.  Replacements: P Whyte; M Kennedy; R Greene; A Matthews; C Dawson; A Connolly; M Patterson.